Frequently Asked Questions

Barking Dogs

The neighbour’s barking dog is very disruptive. What can I do?
and provide us with the exact location (street address) of the offending dog.  An Animal Services Officer will attend the residence and bring the matter to the owner’s attention.
Found Animals

A dog followed my son home from school. Can you help?
as soon as possible. A worried owner may have already supplied us with the information necessary to reunite them with their pets. Additionally, the animal may be identified in a manner that you are unaware of or unable to trace (ie. tattoo/micro-chip)
Lost Animals

The back yard gate was accidentally left open and now "Rover" is missing. What should I do?
immediately. An animal is only held for 96 hours before other arrangements are made. We can also provide you with information or phone numbers of organizations that may assist you in your search.
Returning an Animal to its Owner

What happens when a dog is found running at large?
New Westminster Animal Services will rescue the dog and attempt either by phone or in person, to make contact with the registered owner providing the animal is licensed within the City of New Westminster. When contact is made with the owner and the animal is returned, no charges will be levied. This will be a one-time courtesy extended to the owner.

If however, the animal is unlicensed, the animal will be impounded and fees will be applied as per the Bylaw Schedule “B”.
Dog License (Tag)

Municipal bylaws in all areas of the Lower Mainland require owners to have a valid license for their dog. In the City of New Westminster, a dog’s license tag is valid from January 1st to December 31st in the year in which it is issued.  Additionally, a dog license is the best way to identify your dog if it is lost.  If your dog is found at large, Animal Services will attempt to make contact with the owner and return without charge as a one-time courtesy.

Dog License Fees

  On or Before March 1st After March 1st First Time License
Male/Female $60.00 $80.00 $30.00
(proof required)
$20.00 $30.00 $20.00


Note: There is no charge for a special needs dog

How to Purchase a Dog License

Click here to download a Dog License Application.
Please refer to this List of Breeds and Colours when filling out your application.

Upon completion of the application form, please send it to the Animal Shelter with your money order or cheque made payable to the City of New Westminster. Credit and debit payments can be made in person at,

New Westminster Animal Shelter
231 Ewen Ave
8:30 am – 4:30 pm, 7 days/week

Contact: 604-519-2008

Deceased Animals

While driving home I noticed a dead raccoon on the side of the road. Who should I call?
with the location and we will dispatch one of our Animal Services staff.  This is particularly important with domestic animals as they may have identification that would allow us to notify an owner.
Euthanizing Animals

As per the City of New Westminster’s Guidelines, animals will only be euthanized for the following reasons:

1. The animal is terminally ill or severely injured as per the opinion of a Veterinarian.
2. The animal is not adoptable in the opinion of a Qualified or Certified Animal Behaviourist.
3. Animal Services is in possession of a Provincial Court Order directing the staff to euthanize the animal and the 30 day appeal period has passed.

Once the animal meets one of the above criteria, an Animal Services Officer will transport the animal to a veterinarian in the area and have the veterinarian perform the euthanasia.  Animal Services Staff may authorize an animal to be euthanized only when it is deemed to be the property of the City of New Westminster, except where extenuating circumstances exist.

Spaying or Neutering Before Adoption

Are all the animals spayed or neutered before adoption?
The City is committed to the prevention of pet over population, and as such, New Westminster Animal Services will ensure all animals eligible for adoption have been spayed or neutered by a qualified veterinarian prior to being released to their new owner.

Off-Leash Dog Parks

I live in an apartment, where can I take my dog to let him/her run safely off-leash?
New Westminster Parks and Recreation recognizes the importance of dogs to residents, their families and the mutual appreciation of the outdoors.  Many off-leash dog parks have been created throughout the City to help exercise your four-legged friends.  Visit the link above for dog park enclosure rules and locations.

Reminder!  As per the Animal Care and Control Bylaw No. 7586, 2013, pets are required to be leashed in all parks, with the exception of the City’s designated off-leash dog enclosures.

Coyotes Awareness & Precautions:

The City of New Westminster would like residents to be aware that coyotes have been seen in our parks. Coyotes are sly, elusive and intelligent members of the canine family that have adapted to urban environments.

Coyotes are the size of a thin German Shepherd with a sharp nose, pointed ears, yellow eyes and bushy black tipped tail. They are primarily carnivorous but will eat whatever is available: mice, rats, squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, eggs and fruit. Coyotes are also attracted by pets, garbage, compost, gardens and human food.

  • Never feed coyotes
  • Keep pets indoors at night
  • Do not let pets run free or off-leash except when supervised in designated off-leash area
  • Only feed pet(s) indoors
  • Secure garbage, compost and pick up fallen fruit
  • If a coyote approaches, act aggressively by standing, shouting and waving arms

Coyotes have a natural fear of humans and it is critical that you never feed or treat this wild animal like a pet. Feeding a coyote will habituate it to people and create a danger for yourself, pets, your neighbours and the coyote

If you come across an active den site or notice coyote pups, please report it to the coyote information phone line 604-681-WILD and avoid the area.


Close Window

Translation Disclaimer

The City of New Westminster is offering website translation services provided by Google Translate. Our goal is to assist English as a second language customers to understand our services, programs and important city information. If you elect to use Google Translate, please understand that translation quality and accuracy may vary between languages. In addition, the City of New Westminster cannot guarantee the quality, accuracy or completeness of any translated information.

Google Translate currently offers over 50 languages and Google will continue to improve and expand its translation services. If your language is currently not translated by Google Translate, please check back in the future.