New Westminster currently has 54 permanent emergency shelter beds in operation. In addition, the City has worked with BC Housing and Purpose Society to operationalize up to 50 extreme weather response program mats on the lower floor of the former Army and Navy department store and accessed off of Front Street. This additional shelter capacity will be activated during extreme weather events and will be operational until March 31, 2022.
- Purpose Society - Army & Navy Extreme Weather Shelter502 Columbia Street, enter off of Front Street. 8:00 pm - 8:00 am
- Lookout Housing and Health Society - Cliff Block Residence (Adults)
606 Clarkson Street, 604.523.9126
- Elizabeth Fry Society - Gurney House (Women and children)
- Fraserside Community Services - Fraserside Emergency Shelter (Families and couples)
- Lookout Housing and Health Society - Russell Residence (Men)740 Carnarvon Street, 604.529.9126
- Salvation Army - Stevenson House (Men32 Elliot Street, 604.526.4783, Open 24 hours
Purpose Society is currently addressing some outstanding items prior to occupancy and hopes to have the shelter operating within the week. When operational, Purpose Society will notify City departments and all faith-based and non-profit organizations, and will publicly post the City’s Extreme Weather Response Program Plan, which is intended to assist those who are unsheltered during extreme weather.
Shelter and Street Help Line: Call 2-1-1
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Looking for a hot meal?
- Gurdwara Sahib Sukh Sagar Temple - 347 Wood Street
Monday - Sunday
Take out hot lunch, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Take out hot dinner, 5:00 - 7:30 pm
- Holy Trinity Cathedral - 514 Carnarvon Street
Saturday - Takeout brunch, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
- St. Barnabas - 1010 5th Avenue,
Wednesday - Grab and Go Meal, 1:00 - 2:30 pm
- St. Vincent de Paul, 740 Carnarvon Street at The Russel Shelter Via Alexander Street
Friday - Dinner, 5:00 - 6:00 pm
- Union Gospel Mission - 658 Clarkson Street
Monday - Friday, Takeout hot breakfast, 8:30 - 9:30 am