Outdoor gas appliances including fire pits, portable heaters and decorative fire tables, have gained popularity in our community due to their ease of use, affordability and the fact that they are readily available at local suppliers.
The CNW Fire Protection Bylaw does not currently permit the use of such appliances, which are not solely used for the cooking and preparation of food. The bylaw is currently under review for amendment to reflect our support for the safe use of outdoor gas appliances. In preparation, New Westminster Fire and Rescue Services (NWFRS) reviewed the current regulations, conducted a survey of surrounding municipalities, and reviewed burning complaints in New Westminster to identify considerations to be addressed.
Given the ease of accessibility, the desire of residents to use clean fuel outdoor appliances and the fact that there is no data supporting an increase in fire damage due to these appliances, NWFRS will allow the use of fire pits, portable heaters and decorative fire tables provided that the following criteria is met:
- The appliance is fueled by natural gas or propane;
- CSA/ULC approved;
- Used in accordance with listed manufacturer's instructions;
- In the absence of listed manufacture clearances, a minimum of 3 metres from combustibles shall be used;
- Used on private property only*; and
- The flame length is not to exceed 15 centimeters (6 inches) in height.
* In the case of Strata property, it is the responsibility of each individual to confirm Strata rules and regulations approve the use of these devices prior to use.
When using any device residents are required to take reasonable precautions to ensure the fire is contained and turn the unit off when not attended. Please take extra precautions when operating with young children and pets in proximity.