This year Canada is celebrating the 150th Anniversary of Confederation and The City of New Westminster is encouraging you to plan to celebrate at your 2017 event by incorporating this momentous occasion. Let us know how you plan to celebrate this special occasion and we will list your event on our Canada 150 City webpage. For information on how to list your Canada 150 event email
The Government of Canada is working with the private and volunteer sectors, other levels of government, and businesses to put together a year of entertaining and celebrations. They have identified three funding initiatives available for event and projects in our community. Visit www.canada.ca/150 to find out more information.
CALL FOR ARTISTS:
CALL FOR PERFORMERS: New Westminster Canada Day
Deadline: March 31st, 2017 at 4pm
Celebrating this year’s Canada Day theme of “Canada 150 – Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow,” we are calling all performers and performing groups to submit proposals to perform during the 2017 Canada Day Celebration at Queens Park on July 1st. We are looking for acts that will engage the community, celebrate the spirit and multicultural heritage of New Westminster, and respond to this year’s Canada Day theme.
Criteria for performers will include: availability, suitability for audience, New Westminster connectivity and technical requirements. Performers’ honorariums will be paid to all performers and will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
We are looking for the following types of entertainment:
- Mainstage Entertainment (music, dance, performing arts)
- Roving Entertainment (mobile and interactive)
- Wild Card (participatory, pop-up, playful, unexpected)
Submissions must include:
- Description of act or group, including performance history and links to New Westminster (up to one page)
- Preferred length of performance
- Tech rider and stage plot
- Links to website, videos, and other relevant online content
Please send all submissions by March 31st, 2017 at 4pm to:
CALL FOR COMMUNITY GROUPS:
New Westminster Canada Day
Deadline: May 15th, 2015 at 4pm
Community groups from or connected to New Westminster are invited to submit proposals to present a display during the Canada Day Celebration at Queens Park on July 1st, 2017. Celebrating this year’s Canada Day theme of “Canada 150 – Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow,” we are looking for groups that engage with the community, celebrate the spirit and multicultural heritage of New Westminster. The displays offer an opportunity for community groups to share their organization’s vision while interacting with the public in a fun, family-friendly environment.
- Community groups should provide a value added Canada Day related activity (these may include arts and crafts, multicultural presentations or community demos)
- Special consideration given to Community groups whose proposals focus on this year’s theme of “Canada 150 – Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow”
- Community groups will not be permitted to sell or have commercial focus in their displays
- Community groups may not solicit donations in accordance
- Displays must be family friendly
Submissions should be no longer than 2 pages and must include:
- Description community group
- Description of value added activity
- Description of intended display
- Space, technical and other resources required
Please send all submissions by May 15th, 2015 at 4pm to:
Kristina Fiedrich, Arts Programmer
Arts Services Department, Anvil Centre
777 Columbia Street, New Westminster, BC
Submissions will be accepted in person, by mail, and via email. If we receive more submissions than space allows, The Canada Day Committee will be selecting groups based on the above criteria as well as to ensure a diversity of representation at the event. The Canada Day Committee thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only successful applicants will be contacted.