PER THE PROVINCIAL HEALTH ORDER, ALL COUNCIL MEETINGS ARE BEING HELD VIRTUALLY
Information for Regular Council Meetings
I want to speak to Council at a regular council meeting.
Due to COVID-19, speakers must use one of the electronic options (phone or Zoom) to speak.
Council will hear Open Delegations at the first meeting of each month. For 2020, speakers will be heard on the following dates, at 7 pm:
- December 14
If you would like to speak to Council at an upcoming Council meeting, please sign up in one of the following ways:
- fill out the Request to Speak form
- email: , and tell us what you want to speak to Council about along with the best way to reach you
- Call 604-527-4523 and leave your name, phone number and what you want to speak to Council about
Staff from Legislative Services will contact you within two business days of your request, or by 2pm on the day the meeting.
Information for Public Hearings and opportunities to be heard
I want to write to Council about a Public Hearing or Opportunity to Be Heard.
Written comments are encouraged and may be submitted as follows:
- Email: send your comments to ; or,
- Mail: address your submission to Legislative Services, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC V3L 1H9; or,
- In person: drop off a letter at the mailbox on the north side of City Hall
I WANT TO tell Council what I think about a Public Hearing Item or opportunity to be heard.
- city of residence;
- phone number and/or email address; and,
- the item you would like to speak to.
If you don't register in advance, you can join the meeting at any time and speak at the end of the registered speakers list for the item.
See the Public Notices page for the current public hearing items.
Five minutes before the start of the meeting, you can join and participate in the meeting in one of three ways:
Computer: Go to www.zoom.us, click on "Join a meeting". Enter Meeting ID when prompted, and click "Join".
Please use a headset with microphone (earbuds or ear pods will do)
Make sure you are in a quiet environment
Smartphone/tablet: Download the Zoom Cloud Meetings app, open it, select "Join a meeting". Enter meeting ID, and select "Join".
|3.||Phone: Call 778-907-2071. Enter the meeting ID followed by #.||
Please do NOT use speakerphone
Make sure you are in a quiet room.
- You will not be able to access the meeting until it is started by staff. If you are unable to connect, please try again a few minutes later;
- When you enter the meeting, you will be able to see and hear presentations, and Council and staff speakers, but you will not be able to activate your microphone or turn on your camera;
- The Q&A feature in Zoom should only be used for technical questions related to Zoom. If you have a question about the application, please notify us that you want to speak at the appropriate time.
- To ask for technical help with Zoom, use the Q&A feature. Type in your question and staff will attempt to help you remotely;
I registered in advance. How do I know when it is my turn to speak?
Registered speakers are heard first. The City Clerk will go through the names on the list in the order registered.
When your name is called:
- Computer: Click the “Raise Hand” button at the bottom of the Zoom meeting window
- Smartphone/Tablet: tap the “Raise Hand” button on the bottom left of your screen.
- Phone: press *9 on the keypad
The City Clerk will unmute you and confirm that you can be heard and are ready to speak. At that point, you will have five minutes to speak. A buzzer will end your time.
After you are finished speaking, the Mayor will ask if Council has any questions for you, or of staff in relation to what you’ve spoken about. If there are no questions, you will be muted.
If you have more to say, please “Raise Hand” when the Mayor calls for additional and second-time speakers.
I didn't register in advance for the PUblic Hearing. When can I speak?
After registered speakers have been heard, the Mayor will call for more speakers. Raise your hand in Zoom with Raise Hand option on your computer or other device, or press *9 on the keypad on your phone.
I want to show a presentation when I speak. What do I have to do?
When you are speaking to Council, your presentation will be displayed on Zoom and on the video of the meeting. The City Clerk will flip through the slides for you. When you are finished one slide and ready to move to the next, simply say "Next slide, please."
Privacy Notice: Zoom can be used via a computer with a webcam and microphone, a tablet or smart phone, or by a land line. All three options are available to you.
While we will be using Zoom to facilitate the meeting, your image will not be displayed to the public.
I cannot call in or write in for a Public Hearing or Opportunity to be Heard. How can my voice be heard?
Call 604-527-4523 to make an appointment with a Legislative Services staff member. You can record a 5 minute video which will be sent to Mayor and Council.
The video will form part of the public record and be posted to the City's Website.