Who is eligible to vote?Resident electors must meet all of the following requirements at the time of voting:
- 18 years of age or older on general voting day;
- A Canadian citizen;
- A resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration;
- A resident of the City of New Westminster for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration; and
- Not disqualified by any enactment from voting in an election or otherwise disqualified by law.
Please note that advance voter registration through Elections BC is now closed. However, you can still register at the time of voting, at any of the City's Advance Voting Opportunities or on General Voting Day.
To register at the time of voting, you must produce two pieces of identification which provide evidence of your identity and place of residence, at least one of which must contain the applicant's signature.
Non-resident property electors must meet the above eligibility requirements; however, in lieu of the 30-day residency requirement, a non-resident property elector must have been a registered owner of real property in New Westminster for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration.
Non-resident property electors can register in advance directly with the Election Office by completing the following forms:
- Non-Resident Property Elector Application for Registration
- Non-Resident Property Elector Consent Form