Who is eligible to be a candidate?Candidates must meet all of the following requirements at the time of voting:
- A resident of British Columbia at least 6 months before filing their nomination documents;
- 18 years of age or older on general voting day;
- A Canadian citizen;
- Not disqualified by any enactment from voting in an election or otherwise disqualified by law.
The nomination period for the 2018 General Local Election has now closed.
- Provincial Election Guides
- Candidate's Guide to Local Elections in BC
- Elector Organization Guide to Local Elections in BC
- General Local Elections 101
- What Every Candidate Needs to Know
- Guide to Local Elections Campaign Financing in BC for Candidates and their Financial Agents
- Guide to Local Elections Campaign Financing in BC for Elector Organizations and their Financial Agents
More information FOR CANDIDATES
Additional candidate resources from Elections BC can be found here.
The Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM) publishes a booklet titled Local Government in BC: A Community Effort, an excellent overview of local government in BC in an easy to read, colourfully illustrated format. Download Local Government in BC: A Community Effort here.
2018 Campaign financing and expense limits
Please direct all questions related to campaign financing to Elections BC:
Phone toll-free: 1-855-952-0280