How do I know if I can be on Council or on the the School Board?

You can run for any of the positions if you 

  • are 18 or older on General Voting Day (October 15)
  • are a Canadian Citizen
  • were a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months before submitting your nomination documents;
  • Not disqualified from voting or from being nominated for, being elected to or holding office, or be otherwise disqualified by law

If you submit your nomination documents on September 9, you must have been a BC resident since at least March 8, 2022.

The Local Government Act S. 81(2) and and 82(1) define who is not eligible to run for Council. The School Act S. 33 and 34 define who is not eligible to run for School Board Trustee.