Provincial Home Owner Grant Programs
The Home Owner Grant Program is a Provincial Government program designed to help homeowners with their property taxes. There are two categories of grants which may reduce a home owner's property taxes:
Basic Grant of $570
To qualify for the grant you must:
- be the owner (or a spouse/relative of the deceased owner) of the property
- be a permanent resident of British Columbia
- occupy the building on the tax notice as your principal residence
- have not applied for or received a homeowner grant on any other property in the Province during the calendar year, and
- no other person can have received a homeowner grant on the property for the calendar year.
Additional Grant of $845
To qualify for the additional grant you must be:
- age 65 or over during this calendar year, or
- a person with disabilities or the spouse or relative of a person with a permanent disability (your physician must complete a "Certificate of Person with Disabilities and Property Owner" (Form B) available from the Property Tax Department), or
- in receipt of a disability allowance or benefit under the Disability Benefits Program Act (you must enclose a letter from the Ministry of Human Resources confirming your eligibility), or
- receiving an allowance under the War Veteran Allowance Act (Canada) or the Merchant Navy Veteran and Civilian War-related Benefits Act (Canada) (provide a copy of your most recent cheque stub - War Disability Pensions do not apply).
The grant is reduced by $5 for each $1,000 of assessed value over $1,650,000. As a result, the basic grant is reduced to zero for residential properties valued at $1,764,000 or more. The additional grant is eliminated on residential properties assessed at $1,819,000 or more.
Homeowners eligible for the basic grant must pay a minimum tax of $350. Homeowners eligible for the additional grant must pay a minimum tax of $100.
The homeowner grant must be claimed by the Tax Due Date to avoid penalty. To obtain the grant, you must complete the application form on the front of the tax notice or to apply online. Unclaimed grants constitute unpaid current taxes and are subject to penalties. The grant can be claimed without making a payment. If you qualify for the additional grant and wish to obtain it, you must tick the box that describes your qualification. If over 65, state your birth date.
If your mortgage company or other agent pays your property taxes, it is your responsibility to claim the grant by completing the grant application and delivering to City Hall by the due date or online.