Insurance and Risk Management

The Insurance and Risk Management Division works with all City departments regarding claims, insurance, and risk.  The Division investigates and manages claims made by or against the City, manages the City’s insurance portfolio and works with City staff to minimize risk.

The division's areas of responsibility include:

Claims Management

  • Receives written notices of claim from third parties
  • Investigates claims and determines liability
  • Works with legal counsel and insurance adjusters
  • Manages claims resolution
  • Manages property claims made by the City

Risk Financing and Insurance

  • Manages the City’s insurance portfolio
  • Reviews contracts and insurance requirements
  • Reviews insurance documentation from contractors and vendors for compliance with the City’s requirements

Risk Management

  • Works with staff from all departments  to protect assets of the City, reduce losses and minimize risk


How to make a claim

The Insurance and Risk Management Division investigates and responds to all claims made against the City of New Westminster from persons who believe the City is responsible for their damage.

If you believe the City is responsible for your damage and you would like to make a claim against the City, you may do so by completing a claim form or provide written notice and include the following information:

  • Name, home address, day-time telephone number
  • Description of incident (what was damaged)
  • Photographs of the damage
  • Date and time of the incident
  • Location of the incident (be specific as possible)
  • Cause of the incident
  • Original invoices, receipts
  • Name(s) of anyone else involved (ie contractors, equipment operators and include contact information if available)
  • Date of claim or notification
  • Any other pertinent information


Please note that under Section 736 of the Local Government Act, R.S.B.C. 2015, c.1, notice of your claim must be received by the Legislative Services Department within two (2) months from the date on which the damage was sustained.


You may submit the completed form by mail or FAX to:

Legislative Services

City of New Westminster

511 Royal Avenue

New Westminster, BC  V3L 1H9

FAX:  604-527-4594


claim process

You will receive a written acknowledgement of your claim.  An investigation into the claim is commenced with the City department(s) involved.  Once the investigation is completed and has been reviewed, a decision regarding compensation will be made.  You will be notified of this decision in writing as soon as possible.  Please note that a thorough investigation into the matter may take several weeks. Payment of a claim is considered only if the City is legally liable for the damage that you have sustained.

Appeal process

If you wish to appeal a decision made by the City, contact the Provincial Court of BC.  The Mayor and/or Council do not hear appeals on claims-related matters.

filing a claim with your insurance provider

Notify your insurance company as soon as possible even if you do not think the damage is your fault.  Your insurance company may provide coverage for damage you have sustained.  This may be the quickest way to recover costs and/or have repairs made.  Your insurance company can pursue any party it believes to be responsible for the damage.