STRATEGIC PLAN ALIGNMENT
Strategic Priority #1: Community Livability and Social Equity
Strategic Priority #2: Vibrant Economy
The City of New Westminster’s Official Community Plan (OCP) is a roadmap that provides clear direction on how the community should grow into the future. The new OCP provides a renewed vision for the city to 2041 and a framework for how the City will evaluate and approve the future development required to accommodate 34,000 new residents. While the updated OCP integrates policies on land use, the economy, the environment and transportation, a particular focus was brought to the issue of housing, specifically how to increase the availability of ground oriented housing options while protecting the unique character that defines our community.
The OCP was adopted by Council on October 2, 2017. Phase one of the infill housing work was implemented at the same time through amendments of the Zoning Bylaw and the Development Approvals Procedure Bylaw.
The work program for priority OCP implementation projects was presented to and endorsed by Council in November 2017. The work program includes:
- 22nd Street SkyTrain Station Master Plan Development (2018-2020);
- Infill Housing Implementation Phase One Monitoring Program (2018-2019);
- Infill Housing Program Phase Two Implementation: Duplex and Subdivision of Single Detached Dwelling Properties (2018-2019);
- Bent Court Study Area (2019); and
- Support OCP Action Implementation (ongoing).