Chair: Councillor Mary Trentadue
Meetings: Monthly (the first Thursday). For detailed information, please see the committee schedule.
Mandate: The Arts Advisory Committee (AAC) is a conduit for communication and engagement, providing advice and recommendations to staff, the Culture and Economic Development Task Force, and Council on arts-related civic programs and civic art matters including Public Art.
The AAC will work to support and strengthen the arts in New Westminster for the benefit of all citizens, recognizing those community members that have historically been disadvantaged and excluded from civic processes including BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and people of colour), persons with developmental, physical, and acquired disabilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ communities.
The AAC will:
- Provide advice and support regarding the implementation of the Arts Strategy, Theatre Strategy, Public Art Policy, Public Art Plan, and other related Council-adopted Strategic Plans;
- Advise on strategies for ongoing and meaningful inclusion, ensuring representation of diverse voices and equity in all arts-related plans, policies, and opportunities;
- Be a voice for the broad needs of the arts community to inform the City's strategic policies and land use initiatives as required;
- Provide advice and support to staff in regards to engagement and audience development initiatives;
- Serve as a public engagement platform for the Culture and Economic Development Task Force.
For more information regarding the mandate of the Arts Advisory Committee, please see the Terms of Reference, as adopted by Council on November 1, 2021.
2022 Committee meetings