Community Advisory Assembly
The application period for the new Community Advisory Assembly has now closed.
The application period ran September 25 through October 31, 2023, and more than 200 applications were received. Recruitment was extended until November 13 for applicants ages 19 and under.
Member selection for the Assembly is underway, and selected members will be notified by email later in November.
The Community Advisory Assembly will include a diverse group of New Westminster community members to talk about City policies and projects that will impact residents, and provide advice and recommendations back to staff and Council. The City is trying a new model for committee-style public engagement that:
- includes a larger group of residents than our traditional committees (approximately 36 members),
- meets more regularly than most other committees (monthly meetings),
- focuses on dialogue and deliberation,
- includes a membership that mirrors the overall demographic profile of the city, and
- offers a variety of supports to participants to help address barriers to participation.
The Assembly’s role is to advise City Council and City staff across all departments on plans and actions related to Council’s Strategic Priorities, and other current City projects, plans and policies.
The Community Advisory Assembly will be established in 2023 as a pilot project that will run for approximately one year.
The Assembly is only one of the ways the City seeks community input and feedback on its projects, policies and programs. You will find details about all our engagements by visiting our website Be Heard New West: beheardnewwest.ca