Food Truck Basics

Three things all food trucks are required to do.

There are three required basics that all food truck operators must obtain in order to conduct business in New Westminster: health authority approval, fire safety approval, and adequate liability insurance. No food truck may operate in New Westminster without these.

  1. Health authority approval: All food trucks require health authority approval in order to operate. Your first step is in contacting your health authority and getting inspected. Depending upon where your commissary kitchen is, it may be Vancouver Coastal Health or Fraser Health.
  2. Fire safety: In Metro Vancouver all municipalities except Vancouver participate in the Lower Mainland Mobile Food Truck Fire Inspection Program. You’ll need a current decal from that program in order to operate in New Westminster, even if you have been inspected in Vancouver. You can get that decal through your local fire department (except for Vancouver – they have their own programs). You can call your fire department’s fire prevention office, or you can contact New Westminster at 604-519-2004 or .
  3. Insurance: You will need $5Million in general comprehensive liability with the City named as additional insured to operate while parked on any public property in New Westminster, whether you are serving the public or a catering client. Again, we recommend getting an annual licence so that you only have to do this once a year! 
  • Business License Office
    T 604-527-4565