The Queen’s Park Neighbourhood Heritage Study began in 2013 to examine various ways to retain and enhance the neighbourhood’s character. It was informed by research tasks and neighbourhood consultation, conducted by a Working Group of local residents.
The Working Group continued to meet as part of the implementation and consultation phase of the Queen’s Park Heritage Conservation Area Review from 2016-2017.
In 2014 City Council endorsed the purpose, terms of reference, and membership of the Queen’s Park Neighbourhood Heritage Study Working Group.
Terms of reference for the second term of the Working Group, which outlined their involvement in the Heritage Conservation Area Review was endorsed by Council on October 17, 2016. The Working Group's final meeting was held in July 2017.
The Working Group consisted of:
- the Chair of the New Westminster Community Heritage Commission;
- two members recommended by the Queen's Park Residents' Association;
- two members recommended by the New Westminster Heritage Preservation Society; and,
- eight residents from the Queen's Park neighbourhood (appointed by City Council).
The Queens Park residents and property owners were selected from interested individuals who represented a variety of circumstances, such as the age of the house, property size, and interest in the natural environment, as well as potentially those with real estate or development experience.
All members of the Working Group were confirmed by Council. The Chair of the Working Group was the Chair of the Heritage Commission, Councillor Jaimie McEvoy. At the first meeting, the Working Group identified a Vice-Chair, David Brett.
conservation area review (2016-2017)
The Queen’s Park Neighbourhood Working Group worked with staff and the City’s consultants on establishing a Queen’s Park Heritage Conservation Area and related design guidelines. Throughout the review process the Working Group:
1. Worked with staff and the City’s consultants to:
- Develop public consultation processes and activities;
- Identify options for defining scope and content of proposed Conservation Area; and,
- Evaluate the Control Period Heritage Alteration Permit application process.
2. Reviewed and provided feedback to staff and the City’s consultants on:
- Consultation materials and outputs;
- Communication materials;
- Proposed Heritage Conservation Area provisions;
- Proposed design guidelines; and,
- Other proposed Heritage Conservation Area implementation policies or regulations, including but not limited to the related Heritage Alteration Permit application process.
3. Participated in consultation by:
- Attending and participating as hosts in the public consultation events;
- Disseminating information about the process and events; and,
- Participating with staff in an end-of-term meeting on the topic of “lessons learned through the process”.
neighbourhood heritage study (2014-2016)
At the direction of City Council, the Queen's Park Neighbourhood Heritage Study had the following goals:
- Identify workable solutions to encourage the retention of heritage houses, the reduction of demolitions and the reduction of unsympathetic changes to heritage houses.
- Educate the neighbourhood in regard to the advantages of owning a heritage house, heritage retention options and heritage legislation.
- Share information and strategies with other New Westminster neighbourhoods.
The Study’s final recommendations, as provided to Council were that:
- Council consider the creation of a Heritage Conservation Area for the Queen’s Park neighbourhood,
- The consultation process for a Heritage Conservation Are be undertaken during a one year Heritage Control Period,
- A photograph inventory of all publicly visible buildings is taken, and
- The Queen’s Park Historic District design guidelines be updated.
MEETING SCHEDULE & AGENDAS
The Working Group's final meeting was July 2017.
2017 Working Group Meetings
|January 10, 2017|
|February 7, 2017||Agenda Package|
|March 7, 2017||Agenda Package|
|March 29, 2017||Agenda Package|
|May 2, 2017||Agenda Package|
|June 6, 2017||Cancelled|
|July 18, 2017||Agenda Package|
|August 8, 2017||Cancelled|
2016 Working Group Meetings
|January 21, 2016|
|June 21, 2016||Agenda Package|
|October 4, 2016||Agenda Package|
|November 15, 2016||Agenda Package|
|December 6, 2016||Agenda Package|
2015 Working Group Meetings
|January 22, 2015||Agenda Package|
|February 26, 2015||Agenda Package|
|March 26, 2015||Agenda Package|
|April 23, 2015||Agenda Package|
|May 28, 2015||Open House|
|June 25, 2015||Agenda Package|
|July 23, 2015||Agenda Package|
|August 27, 2015||Agenda Package|
|September 24, 2015||Agenda Package|
|October 22, 2015||Agenda Package|
2014 Working Group Meetings
|May 22, 2014||Agenda Package|
|June 26, 2014||Agenda Package|
|July 24, 2014||Agenda Package|
|September 4, 2014||Agenda Package|
|September 25, 2014||Agenda Package|
|October 23, 2014||Agenda Package|
|November 27, 2014||Agenda Package|