SPECIAL LIMITED CATEGORY STUDY (Complete)
Through the Heritage Conservation Area policy development process, approximately 80 properties were identified for further study and were categorized as Special Limited. An additional 12 protected properties were added through an Expanded Study application period. Through the three phases of the Study, the properties were reclassified as either Protected or Non-Protected, based on detailed analysis of their heritage merit and development options.
In Phase One, the City hired heritage professionals to assess the heritage value of the initial properties in the Special Limited category. Based on the results of this work, Council removed Heritage Conservation Area protection from 33 properties in June 2018. The remaining properties continued to Phase Two of the Study.
Heritage Assessments were then completed for the 12 Expanded Study properties in early 2019. Based on the results of this work, six properties continued to Phase Two of the study. The other six were reclassified to Non-Protected during Phase Three.
In Phase Two, the City hired an architectural firm in mid-2019 to assess the potential of each remaining house to reach the maximum floor space permitted on that site in the Zoning Bylaw.
In Phase Three, the properties were evaluated against the Evaluation Checklist, which weighs criteria for heritage value, development potential and building integrity. Based on the results of this work, Council removed Heritage Conservation Area protection from seven properties on November 25, 2019. The remaining properties became Protected.
All properties included in the Study have now been reclassified to either Protected or Non-Protected. The Special Limited category no longer exists. To see the category of a property, please view:
- Map of Queen’s Park Heritage Conservation Area Properties by Protection Category
- Table of Addresses in the Queen’s Park Heritage Conservation Area: Properties by Protection Category
- April 2018, Consultants’ Report: Value Assessments
- May 28, 2018, Council Report: Staff report on Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaw for First and Second Readings (to reclassify Phase 1 Properties)
- June 19, 2018: Public Hearing Package
- March 2019, Consultants’ Report: Expanded Special Limited Value Assessments
- April 29, 2019, Council Report: Phase Two Update from staff
- July 2019, Consultants’ Report: Development Potential Assessments
- September 9, 2019, Council Report: Staff report on the completion of Phase Two