Frequently Asked Questions

We have put together a list of frequent questions. We will continue to add to this list as more questions arise.


CAN MY PROPERTY BE REDEVELOPED while the Bold Vision is being created?

Yes. Landowners can apply to develop their property according to current zoning regulations at any time.

The Bold Vision process is intended to inform the future development of the area from a variety of perspectives, including land use, urban design, transportation, parks and open space, and servicing. To make sure that development projects are consistent with the Bold Vision for the area, the City will work to implement the vision, including the creations of development permit guidelines, and the adoption of land use designations through an OCP amendment, prior to any rezoning applications being considered within this area.


WHAT CAN I do with my property after the Bold Vision is finalized?

Landowners will be able to apply to build the same things they are allowed to build today, according to their existing zoning. There is no obligation for landowners to change their existing land use. For many people their current land use, such as a single detached house, is right for them and will continue to be part of the neighbourhood.

After the Bold Vision is finalized, the City will work to implement the vision, including the creation of development permit guidelines, and the adoption of land use designations through an OCP amendment. This implementation stage will need to be completed prior to any rezoning applications being considered within this area. Before properties can be redeveloped with new land uses envisioned, zoning of the property would need to be changed (through a rezoning process). The proposed redevelopment would need to be consistent with the new land use designations and meet development permit guidelines for Council to consider supporting the application.

Regardless of whether a landowner is thinking of selling their property, changing its land use or keeping the current land use, landowners can make an appointment to discuss their options with City staff by emailing


WILL the Bold Vision of subsequent work change my property value?

The market value of a property reflects what is possible to do under existing zoning entitlements, i.e. the highest and best use of the land consistent with the Zoning Bylaw. The Bold Vision, or subsequent work will not change the zoning entitlements in the 22nd Street Station Area.

It is risky to determine the value of a property based on potential redevelopments different from those in the Zoning Bylaw, as Council is under no obligation to approve a rezoning, even if it is consistent with the plans for the area. There are also significant amenity and transportation improvements required in this neighbourhood, so the amenity contributions expected from redevelopment will be high.


Who will lead the Bold Vision process? 

The City will retain a consulting team to lead the Ideas Competition and the creation of the Bold Vision. If you are a company that is interested in leading this work please stay tuned for the expression of interest, which will be posted here.



Gradually over time. Redevelopment only happens when several elements combine to make a feasible project. First, the Bold Vision process must be completed and the Official Community Plan must be amended to allow the envisioned redevelopment. Second, a developer must be interested in proposing a project in the area, which means they feel confident that their proposal fits with City policy, that the project would be financially viable, and that there is sufficient market demand for the built units. Third, redevelopment requires lot assembly, which means current landowners must be willing to sell their properties to a developer to allow for consolidation. Finally, redevelopment requires rezoning and a Development Permit, which are subject to community consultation and Council approval.



The City uses a combination of tools to ensure that development helps pay for the capital costs (i.e. the new or upgraded streets, sewers, affordable housing, parks and other services) generated by population growth.

First, a developer is obligated to provide (or upgrade) all the infrastructure within and immediately adjacent to the development site, as well as other services that the development triggers for an upgrade. This includes water, electrical, sidewalks, street lighting, etc. All infrastructure must be constructed to meet current City standards.

Second, Development Cost Charges (DCCs) are levied on new development to fund City transportation, drainage, water and sanitary infrastructure, as well as parkland acquisition and development. The DCC rates are based on a detailed analysis of the infrastructure investment that will be required to support the expected growth. The City also collects DCCs on behalf of Metro Vancouver to pay for regional sanitary sewer and drainage works, and school site acquisition charges on behalf of New Westminster School District No. 40 to purchase new school sites or expand existing school facilities.

Third, the City often secures additional amenities (or cash in lieu) to benefit the community where redevelopment occurs. A Financing Growth Strategy will be prepared as part of the master planning process, which will identify specifically what a developer must contribute towards additional amenities and infrastructure.



Construction is disruptive to the community. The City has a number of development requirements that help to mitigate the impacts of construction, including traffic management plans, Street Occupancy Permits, and the regulations of the Construction Noise Bylaw. Additional policies, procedures and bylaws are in place to control such construction issues as truck traffic, tree protection, erosion and sediment control, site lighting, and construction hoarding (i.e. temporary fencing).



The City of New Westminster is committed to minimizing the impacts of displacement for renters throughout the city. The City provides education, information and funding to help other organizations assist renters in need. This has included partnering with the Tenant Resource & Advisory Centre (TRAC) in 2016 and 2017 to host workshops about tenants’ rights, and distributing TRAC’s Tenant Survival Guides to inform tenants about their rights when facing an eviction. Additionally, the City helps connect renters with various housing organizations and provides funding to the New Westminster Rent Bank, which supports renters who may be in a temporary crisis and have difficulty paying for rent, security deposit and/or utilities.

In addition, the Province has recently amended the Residential Tenancy Act to extend protection for renters, such as requiring a four-month notice to end tenancy for demolition, renovation or repairs to the dwelling unit, or for conversion of the unit to another use. Tenants also now have 30 days to dispute the notice with the Residential Tenancy Branch.



First, developers must wait until the Bold Vision is endorsed by Council and the subsequent work implementing the Vision is complete, including amending the Official Community Plan (OCP) land use designations and creating development permit guidelines. Only once this work is complete could a developer determine whether their project aligns with the City’s policies for future development in the area. Until that time, applications that require rezoning of any property in the area would be considered premature.

Once the Bold Vision is endorsed by Council and the subsequent work complete, if a developer believes they have a project that meets the intent of the Bold Vision and other plans and policies, then they should schedule a Pre-Application Review (PAR). Formal Rezoning and Development Permit applications would be required to go through the standard development review process, which includes City staff review and consultation with the public, committees and other stakeholders before being presented to Council for consideration. Council will then consider the rezoning bylaw and Development Permit, a process that requires several bylaw readings, a public hearing and final consideration of whether to adopt the rezoning bylaw and issue the Development Permit.

More information about the development application process and requirements may be found on the Making a Development Application webpage.