The Gas Works building stood at 231 Twelfth Street, a site made up of four lots, owned by the Provincial Government.
The City is considering acceptance of a Provincial Free Crown Grant for the site, which is approximately 45,600 square feet in total.
The Gas Works building was built in 1886 and demolished in November 2017. The building was listed on the City's Heritage Register in 1997, though was removed as a result of the demolition.
The building was valued as the first civic gas works constructed in the province, as the city's oldest brick industrial building, and as a result of its association with the boom in population and development in the area from the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
The City of New Westminster exercised due diligence to ensure that all reasonable information and documentation was provided in order to ensure a complete historical record, prior to demolition.
previous Damage to building
During a storm on March 13, 2016, approximately one half of the roof on the Gas Works building collapsed. In the months following, it was determined that the remains of the building were unsafe, due to low structural stability and material contamination. It was further determined that little of the building would be salvageable for restoration or reuse.
Reports and Studies
- Land Use Study
- Statement of Significance for the 1886 Building
- Council Report: April 18, 2016
- Council Report: January 11, 2010
- Council Report: November 30, 2009
- Council Presentation: September 21, 2009
- Council Report: September 14, 2009
past public consultation
The City held an Open House to hear the public's thoughts regarding land use considerations for the site on September 23, 2009, at City Hall. Below is the information presented in the 2009 round of consultation.
Also as part of the consultation, the public was asked to provide feedback through the completion of a questionnaire.