Rezoning and a Special Development Permit applications have been submitted in order to seek approval to construct a 33-storey mixed-use, commercial multi-unit residential development at 618 Carnarvon Street, involving the consolidation of a number of properties at Carnarvon, Sixth and Clarkson Street. The density proposed in the application is based on first; utilizing density bonusing and in addition; density beyond that anticipated in the density bonus policy. The proposed density is a floor space ratio of 6.2.
Key aspects of the proposed development include:
- The development consists of a three-storey to four-storey podium, varying due to the slope of the site and a tower which is sited to the westerly end of the site.
- The podium features townhouses above Clarkson Street as well as facing Carnarvon Street and the internal courtyard.
- Commercial uses front Sixth Street.
- The tower features floor plates of approximately 7,500 sq. from levels five through thirteen and then decreases to 6,500 sq. ft. from level fourteen through eighteen and then again to 6,300 sq. ft. at levels nineteen through thirty-two.
- Provision of a publicly accessible, but privately owned and maintained pocket park at the corner of Sixth and Clarkson Streets.
- Large amounts of outdoor amenity areas provided for the residents of the development, including a residential courtyard.
- Further encapsulation of a portion of the SkyTrain line, reducing noise for adjacent residents.
- Location of vehicular access is still to be confirmed by transportation study under review by City staff.
The site consists of seven lots – 612, 616, 618 and 628 Carnarvon St, 615 and 637 Clarkson St, and 36 Sixth Street as indicated on the map below. The area of the combined lots is 39,747 sq. ft.
Application Review Process
Below are the anticipated steps in the development review process for this application. Please be aware that these steps are anticipated and may be subject to change. Changes to the process and updated dates will be noted on this website when available.
- February 15, 2016: Report to Land Use and Planning Committee (LUPC)
- April 18, 2016: Report to Council from LUPC to Council
- June 28, 2016: Developer First Open House (Public Input Opportunity)
- February 15, 2017: Developer Second Open House (Open House Boards) (Public Input Opportunity)
- March 28, 2017: Presentation to New Westminster Design Panel
- May 3, 2017: Presentation to Downtown Residents Association (Public Input Opportunity)
- May 23, 2017: Second Presentation to New Westminster Design Panel
- June 20, 2017: Presentation to Advisory Planning Commission (Public Input Opportunity)
- October 16, 2017: Report to Council for Consideration of First and Second Reading of Zoning Amendment Bylaw (and On Table Presentation)
- January 29, 2018: Council Public Hearing on Proposed Zoning Amendment Bylaw (Public Input Opportunity)
- January 29, 2018: Council consideration of Third Reading for Zoning Amendment Bylaw
- TBD: Final Adoption of Zoning Amendment Bylaw
Contact for more information:
Mike Watson, Planner
Page last updated: March 13, 2018