As part of the City of New Westminster’s 2017 Sewer Separation Program, road construction will be taking place on Hamilton Street, Seventh Avenue and Nanaimo Street between Tenth Street and Twelfth Street. Crews are anticipated to reassemble towards the end of January 2018.
|Seventh Avenue||End of January – mid February|
|Nanaimo Street||February 13th – 23rd|
|Site Restoration & Deficiencies||February 19th – 23rd|
- Typical hours of work will be from 7:00am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday;
- Streets will be closed to all vehicular traffic;
- Pedestrian and cyclist access will be maintained at all times;
- Traffic control personnel will be on site;
- Parking will not be available during construction hours;
- Residents that are directly impacted will be notified in advance of work commencing.
In a combined sewer system, stormwater runoff is combined in a single pipe with wastewater from homes, businesses, and industry. During drier weather, the stormwater and wastewater are carried to the sewage treatment plant together. But in heavy rain, high volumes of stormwater can exceed the capacity of a combined sewer system. The excess, untreated amounts overflow and empty directly into our waterways. However, with sewer separation, rainwater and sewage are handled independently which helps limit environmental impacts.
We will endeavor to minimize disruption as much as possible. However, as with a project of this nature, some disruption is inevitable.