Garbage Disposal Tips
1. Disposable diapers
- Consider cloth diapers. A diaper service can be cost-competitive to disposables - washed and delivered.
- Bag diapers separately.
- Use heavier gauge bags, preferably biodegradable.
- Tightly secure bag.
- Sprinkle baking soda on soiled diaper and in bag before tying it shut.
- Keep waste cart lid closed at all times.
2. Other smelly items
- Rinse raw meat and fish residue or blood off styrofoam trays or plastic bags before disposing of them.
- Sprinkle baking soda over smelly items before bagging them.
3. Throw less away
- Whenever possible, choose products with less packaging, or with packaging that can be recycled. Buy in bulk when you can.
- Whenever possible, buy and use refillable or reusable containers.
- Try to donate or sell unwanted items rather than throwing them away. Even items that might need repair may be desired by others (e.g. parts).
4. Cart tips
- Make sure all messy or smelly waste is securely bagged before putting it in your cart.
- Regularly rinse out your cart with your hose or a vinagar/water solution to control odours.