Commercial Tenant Improvements
When ARE permits required?
Building Permits are required when you wish to:
- Change the use or occupancy of a tenant space.
- Repair, renovate or add to an existing building.
- Remove, relocate, alter or construct interior walls.
- Complete a previously unfinished area in an existing tenant space.
- Alter or upgrade and existing fire alarm system.
- Install a new fire alarm system.
- Install an industrial spray booth.
Plumbing/Sprinkler Permits are required when you wish to:
- Install new plumbing fixtures.
- Alter an existing fire sprinkler system.
- Install a new fire sprinkler.
- Install, replace or alter water, drain, waste and vent lines.
BEFORE YOU START
Prior to signing a lease, prospective business owners should;
- Check with the Planning Division to ensure the proposed business is permitted on the subject property.
- Check with the Integrated Services, in regards to any outstanding enforcement or orders pertaining to the site.
- Contact the Business License Office, for information regarding obtaining a business license, and any other additional requirements related to operating the business.
- For when there will be a change in occupancy, contact the Building Division, for possible Building Code related restrictions, or required upgrades.
FRASER HEALTH APPROVALS
Fraser Health Authority approval will be required for several premise types, including, but not limited to;
- Bakeries & Deli's
- Grocery Stores
- Butchers & Fishmongers
- Coffee & Espresso Bars
- Bars / Pubs / Taverns
- Food Processing Plants
Personal Service Establishments;
- Hair Salons & Barbers
- Tanning Salons
- Tattoo & Body Piercing Studios
- Skin & Nail Care / Manicure & Pedicure Salons
- Day Care / Child Care Facilities
Health approval should be applied for and received prior to proceeding with a building permit application.
The above is not an exhaustive list of premises. Please contact the Fraser Health Authority for more information.
APPLYING FOR A BUILDING PERMIT
TO APPLY ONLINE, PLEASE VISIT APP.oncamino.com/newwestcity/login .
TO APPLY VIA EMAIL, PLEASE REFER TO THE GUIDE BELOW.
COMMERCIAL TENANT IMPROVEMENT & BASE BUILDING
Please review the required documents and drawings outlined in the Tenant Improvement Permit Application Package . Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, and additional requirements may apply, depending on the size and scope of work.
- Professionals (Architects, Engineers, Code Consultants), may be required.
- A Code Analysis of the building may be required.
- Depending upon the extent of work being undertaken, changes may be required to accommodate the disabled.
- Engineering service upgrades may be required, depending on the cost and scope of work.
TO APPLY VIA EMAIL, PLEASE SEND ALL APPLICATION DOCUMENTATION AND DRAWINGS TO . PLEASE NOTE THAT DOCUMENTS MUST BE ATTACHED AS PDF'S DIRECTLY. WE CANNOT ACCEPT DOCUMENTS SAVED VIA A CLOUD BASED SERVER.
TO APPLY VIA OUR ONLINE APPLICATION PORTAL, CAMINO, PLEASE VISIT APP.ONCAMINO.COM/NEWWESTCITY/LOGIN .
For more information, please contact the respective Department or Authority;
Building Division - 604-527-4580
Planning Division - 604-527-4532
Business License Office - 604-527-4565
Fraser Health Authority - 604-777-6740