Bylaw Enforcement

Bylaw enforcement is an integral part of maintaining a safe and livable environment in New Westminster by providing unbiased enforcement of municipal bylaws.

Construction Noise Bylaw

Construction noise is permitted from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm from Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm on Saturday. Construction noise is not permitted on statutory holidays.

View our information bulletin for details.

You can also view the Noise (Construction) Bylaw here.

Unsightly Premises Bylaw

The Unsightly Premises Bylaw establishes standards for the maintenance of properties and includes the requirement to keep properties free of graffiti, untended growths, and/or any accumulation of discarded materials or debris.

For more information please see the Unsightly Premises Bylaw.

Business Regulations and Licensing (Rental Units) Bylaw

This bylaw prescribes standards for the maintenance of residential rental units. If the rental unit you are living in has issues related to poor maintenance and neglect we may be able to help.

For more information please see the Business Regulations and Licensing (Rental Units) Bylaw.

Smoking Control Bylaw

This Bylaw regulates smoking in certain prescribed situations but excludes private residential premises. City staff work collaboratively with Fraser Health, Translink, and other agencies to ensure smoke-free zones.

For more information please see the Smoking Control Bylaw.

Street and Traffic Bylaw

The Street Traffic Bylaw regulates traffic and the use of streets and sidewalks. It includes parking violations as well as violations involving encroachment of vegetation and items on streets and sidewalks. If you want more information regarding this Bylaw contact Parking Services at 604-519-2010.

For more information, please see the Street and Traffic Bylaw.

Tree Protection Bylaw

This Bylaw regulates cutting, removal and damage of trees as well as the issuance of permits and the requirements of replacement trees. If you want to learn more about what is and is not permitted or you want to report a violation contact the Tree Protection and Regulation office at 604-636-4318.

For more information, please see the Tree Protection and Regulation Bylaw

Water Shortage Response Bylaw

This Bylaw is in effect when Metro Vancouver declares water restrictions are in place due to a regional water shortage. Different stages have different restrictions of water use and each stage has different fine amounts associated with violating those restrictions. To better understand the requirements and penalties contact Parking Services at 604-519-2010.

For more information, please see the Water Shortage Response Bylaw.

  • Due in part to the ongoing pandemic, the community is grappling with increased homelessness and otherconcerns such as graffiti and unsightly vacant premises.We are committed to reducing the resulting impacts to businesses and residents of New Westminster.
    The Nuisance Activity Reducing/ Reporting/ Resources Info Sheet with concrete tips and contact information is good for both businesses and residents alike. 
    The New Westminster Helping Hands brochure contains contact information for a number of social service providers in the City. 

    What's Happening: 

    Increased homelessness and nuisance activity, which New Westminster and other Metro Vancouver municipalities are experiencing, is due to the following factors:
    • Reductions in shelter capacity due to physical distancing requirements
    • Employment and income disruption
    • Reluctance on behalf of family and friends to temporarily accommodate people due to fear of virus transmission

    A Proactive Approach:

    Increased enforcement only shifts the issues
    elsewhere but does not lead to any real
    resolution. The City is working towards proactive
    solutions to address the identified concerns
    by partnering with a number of non-profit
    Some of the work we are doing can be found on the Social Planning page
    Recently, on May 17, 2021, City Council approved a Homelessness Response Strategy. You can read the Council report here that outlines short term and long term strategies. 


  • General Inquiries
    Phone: 604-527-4657