The demolition of all buildings or structures (e.g. a garage) requires a permit. A permit must be obtained from the Building Division prior to commencing work.
What is Required?
Proof of Ownership
- A current title search from Land Title Office (must be obtained no more than 48 hours PRIOR to application)
- Consent to Demolition form, signed by ALL owners.
- A Letter of Authorization addressed to the City of New Westminster from all owners on title where an applicant is acting on behalf of the owner(s).
- A Posting Plan and Topographical Survey from a B.C. Land Surveyor must be submitted at time of application.
- Pictures of all four sides of the building to be demolished and pictures of buildings adjacent to the building to be demolished. Please note: if the age of the building is 50 years or more, a heritage review will be completed prior to approval of a demolition permit. Contact the Planning Division for further information.
- A completed “Waste Disposal and Recycling Services Plan – Form 1” must be submitted at the time of the application. (see below for more information)
- A “Hazardous Materials Survey - Form 2” completed by a qualified professional. (see below for more information)
- $142.00 Demolition Permit Fee for ancillary structures (e.g. garages, sheds, etc.)
- Fees for disconnection of services (Engineering Department)
- $1,240.00 Demolition Permit Fee for other structures
- Administration fees and GST
- A Damage Deposit (SDU) and a Recycling Incentive Deposit will be taken at the time of the permit issuance. These deposits may be refunded after the final inspections and compliance reports approval.
A Tree Removal Permit may be required.
Disconnection of Services
Water Connection & Sewer Connection
Water and Sewer Service disconnections are mandatory. Apply in person to the Building Division for either a Water/Sewer Connection Replacement or Water/Sewer Cap-Off for Reuse (determined by Engineering Department).
- If the existing water meter is to be used for a new building, it must be the right size for the intended use.
- A Water/Sewer Turn-On Order should only be requested when you are ready to use the water service.
- You must pay for a Water/Sewer Cap Off or Replacement Order and pay a Damage Deposit prior to obtaining a permit. Retain receipts for proof of payment.
- The appropriate work orders are sent to the Engineering Operations Department which is responsible for the replacement, cap-off and turn-on of your Water/Sewer connection.
- When demolishing a single-family residence and rebuilding the same, it is the owner's responsibility to ensure the Water/Sewer connection does not conflict with the driveway. An application to move the Water/Sewer connection, at the owner's cost, can be made at the Engineering Department. Please note whether the connection conflicted with the driveway in the past, or what material the new driveway is being constructed of.
To disconnect and remove the electric meter, gas meter and telephone services please contact:
New Westminster Electrical Operations
(This will automatically be done when Demolition Application is made)
Telus Business Customer Service: 604-310-3100
A final inspection is required once your work is complete. Deposits will not be refunded until this is completed.
Untidy & Unsightly Premises
After the building has been demolished or removed, the site must be cleaned-up and all discarded materials and rubbish of any kind removed, as specified in the Unsightly Premises Bylaw. Click here for more information about Bylaw Enforcement.
Metro Vancouver has set a target to reduce construction and demolition waste going to landfill by 2015. In order to help meet this target, the City of New Westminster will require demolition permit applicants to demonstrate adequate recycling practices. For all demolition permits, you are required to submit the following:
- Waste Disposal and Recycling Plan
- Hazardous Materials Report
- Recycling Compliance Report
A refundable Recycling Incentive Deposit will be collected. The Owner / Contractor must submit copies of weigh bill & receipts prior to deposit refund. Click here to for more information and for recycling forms.