Hosting an Event
Would you like to offer an event that will celebrate our city, lift community spirit, recognize loss or support our collective recovery as we move forward from the pandemic? We would like to hear from you. The City is looking forward to welcoming events back to the City as we slowly move out of the pandemic.
Find our guide for planning an event in New West at the link below:
If you are thinking of hosting a special event or gathering in New Westminster, there may be rules in place as our community works to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic. All new and evolving COVID-19 regulations and guidelines need to be carefully considered when planning an event.
A gathering could include: a festival, performance, wedding, episodic market, meeting, spiritual service, or other.
In defining City guidelines for gatherings, the following priorities have been considered;
- Prioritize highest the health and safety of the public and employees under COVID-19
- Maintain the City’s ability to be responsive to Provincial health orders
- Ensure economic viability and financial impact for both the City and the organization
- Find visionary and innovative ways to create opportunities for the community
- Prioritize based on meeting the needs of more than one user group
Please reference the following links for more information on COVID-19 regulations and guidelines.
- Gathering and Events Public Health Order: This Public Health Order mandates specific measures that must be in place for
allcertain gatherings and events. Please note that this Public Health Order changes regularly.
- WorkSafeBC Communicable Disease Prevention Plans: With Step 3 of the Restart Plan, there is a transition away from COVID-19 Safety Plans towards Communicable Disease Prevention Plans.
Outdoor Event Space
If you are interested in hosting an outdoor event or gathering on City property, please complete the online request form below or contact to discuss your circumstances. The completed space request form below must be submitted a minimum of 30 days prior to the start date of the event or gathering.
We are currently accepting bookings for the following picnic shelters: Queen’s Park, Hume Park, Ryall Park Port Royal Park and Old School House Park.
INDOOR BOOKABLE SPACES
PARKS & RECREATION
Gatherings on Private Property
Anyone that is hosting an event on private property should comply with the current requirements from the Province and Local Health Authority.
For a private event on private property, compliance with all municipal, provincial, and federal regulations and statutes is expected.
For any outdoor noise (such as a concert) it cannot negatively impact the peace, quiet, enjoyment, convenience of anyone in the vicinity. Enforcement action would be against the property owner or host as they are responsible for the property.
The City recommends that hosts:
· Align the scale and scope of activity with the guidelines outlined in the BC Restart Plan phasing and the Gathering and Events Public Health Order.
· Obtain proper licenses required for the event such as liquor permits or street use permits
· Comply with municipal, provincial, and federal regulations and statutes
· Check with your insurance provider for any specific requirements and/or exclusions related to the proposed activity
· If food is served, compliance with Fraser Health must be met.
· Avoid amplification of music if possible. If the music could impact neighbours in any way, send a notification in advance to any affected neighbours advising of the date and time.
· Exterior music must stop at 10pm