Plumbing Permit Guide

The purpose of this information is to assist  homeowners, builders and contractors through the Plumbing Permit process and provide information on the City's requirements for permits and inspections.

When is a Plumbing Permit Required?

Plumbing Permits are required when you wish to:

  • Install plumbing fixtures and system components.
  • Alter or extend an existing plumbing systems.
  • Install an in-ground swimming pool, spa pool or hot tub.
  • Install an in-ground irrigation sprinkler system.

Plumbing Permits are not required for:

  • For repairs to minor leaks in water pipes.
  • When replacing plumbing fixtures (C.S.A approved only).
  • When removing soil or waste pipe blockages (via system clean-outs only).

Engineering Department Fees are to be paid:

  • Per fixture fee based on total number of fixtures to be installed (in new installation).
  • Per fixture fee based on total number of fixtures to be re-piped (in renovation).
  • In full at the time of permit application.

Plumbing Permit Application and Procedures

Applications for Plumbing Permits are to be made at the Building Division.

A valid building permit must be issued in advance of applying for a plumbing permit, unless the work is exclusively plumbing related.

The applicant must:

  • Provide evidence of Plumbing Trade Qualification (contractor only).
  • Provide evidence of current City of New Westminster Business License (contractor only).
  • Provide evidence of Home Ownership (homeowners only).
  • Provide evidence of Approved Building Permit.

Process of Plumbing Permit Applications:

Upon receipt of a Plumbing Permit application, review and processing by the Plumbing Department requires a minimum of 48 hours. This time line may be extended due to:

  • volume of applications
  • complexity of the project
  • accuracy of the application

Issuance of a Plumbing Permit:

The Plumbing permit will be issued following the acceptance of a complete permit application. The applicant will be mailed a copy of the Plumbing permit.


  • Provide isometric drawings for dwellings units containing more than three bathroom groups (indicating both water pipe and drainage locations and sizes).
  • Sign declaration assuring plumbing knowledge and responsibility for project (homeowner doing plumbing work themselves only).
  • Provide all permit monies at the time of permit application.

For more information, please visit the plumbing permits page.

  • Health Department
    527 Carnarvon Street
    New Westminster, BC V3L 1C2

    Natural Gas & Electrical Inspections
    400 88 - 6th Street
    New Westminster, BC V3L 5B3
    Home Owners Protection Office
    P.O. Box 11132
    Royal Center, Suite 2270
    Vancouver, BC V6E 3P3
    604-646-7050 / (Fax) 604-646-7051
    Ministry of Environment Lands and Parks
    Agricultural Impact Officer
    Fisheries Impact Officer
    10470 152nd Street
    Surrey, BC V3R 0Y3
    Land Registrations, Easements,
    Land Title Office
    Anvil Centre Office Tower
    Suite 500 - 11 Eighth Street
    New Westminster, BC V3M 3N7
    BC Land Commission
    4940 Canada Way
    Burnaby, BC V5G 4K6