Services Permits Guide

The purpose of this information is to assist  homeowners, builders and contractors through the Service Permit process and provide information on the City's requirements for permits and inspections.

When is a Service Permit Required?

Services Permits are required when you wish to:

  • Install a new sanitary sewer.
  • Replace or alter an existing sanitary sewer.
  • Install an in-ground swimming pool, hot tub or spa pool (backwash drain connection to sanitary sewer).
  • Install a new drain tile system.
  • Substantially alter or replace an existing drain tile system.
  • Install a new water service.
  • Replace an existing water service.

Services Permits are not required for:

  • Minor repairs to existing sanitary sewer (removal of blockages).
  • Minor repairs to existing water service (repair a leak).
  • Minor repairs to existing drain tile system (removal of blockages and a damaged pipe section).
  • Regular scheduled maintenance.

Engineering Department Fees:

  • Based on quantity and type of work being conducted.

Service Permit Application and Procedures

Please fill out the appropriate fields and bring the service permit application form to the Building Division. Applications will not be accepted without a copy of the TQ Holder's card and valid Drivers License.

A valid building permit must be issued in advance of applying for a plumbing permit, unless the work is exclusively plumbing related.

The applicant must:

  • Provide evidence of current City of New Westminster Business License (contractor).
  • Provide evidence of Home Ownership (homeowner only).
  • Provide evidence of Approved Building Permit (if required).
  • Provide all permit monies at the time of permit application.

Process of Services Permit Application:

Upon receipt of a service permit application, review and processing by the Plumbing Department requires a minimum of 48 hours. This time line may be extended due to:

  • volume of applications
  • complexity of the project
  • accuracy of the application

Issuance of a Services Permit:

The Services Permit will be issued following the acceptance of a complete permit application. The applicant will be mailed a copy of the services permit.


Drawings are available from the Engineering Department indicating City of New Westminster requirements for various drain tile systems (separated versus combined sewer piping configurations).