Multi-Family Collection

The City of New Westminster provides multi-family recycling and food scraps collection for most apartments and multi-family dwellings in New Westminster.  Separate bins — recyclable containers, newspaper, mixed paper, and food scraps — are provided by the City’s services provider (Waste Management).

For more information, please call Engineering Operations at 604-526-4691 or email .


    TO report missed pick ups and/or request replacement carts that are damaged or went missing

    Please call Waste Management at 1-800-774-9748.  For a shortcut follow these prompts:

    Select option 1 – for english   (or option 2 - for spanish)

    Select option 1 – residential customer

    Select option 2 – existing customer

    Select option 4 – other questions

    When speaking to Waste Management's Customer Service Department, please provide the following information:

    1. Calling from the City of New Westminster, Canada
    2. Provide address and postal code
    3. Provide building name or strata number
    4. Calling about New West Collection of either (a) recycling or (b) food waste bin 
    5. Report either (a) missed pick up or (b) replacement cart and type (eg. mixed paper, mixed container, or food waste)


  • Refundable glass beverage containers can be returned at any Encorp Return-It Depot for deposit refund. Please visit for bottle depot locations within the city.

    Non-refundable glass containers can be recycled at Return-It Depot locations.

    Please visit the Recycle BC website to learn about acceptable items and to view materials in other languages.

    Large multi-family complexes might want to consider a private hauler for large amounts of cardboard.

    If you need an additional recycling bin, to set up new service, or for more information, please call Engineering Operations at 604-526-4691 or email .
  • The City of New Westminster has a food scraps collection program for multi-family (apartment and condo) residents to help reduce the amount of waste that ends up in landfills.

    Organic waste such as food scraps, plants and flowers, and food soiled paper are now banned from garbage and are accepted in the foods scraps collection bin.  

    It’s estimated that upwards of 30% of multi-residential waste is comprised of organic material.  We need your help to keep this valuable resource from heading to the landfills.  Once collected, the organic waste is taken to a regional composting facility where it is recycled into a nutrient rich soil amendment for plants, gardens and crops.  

    How the Food Scraps Collection Program Works

    • A centralized food scraps bin is provided to each building which is collected weekly by the City's contractor, Waste Management.
    • To get started, each residential unit (apartment or condo) will receive a fridge magnet, brochure and kitchen container with details on what to include and what not to include in your food scraps bin.
    • In order to reduce odours and attractants, a sample Bag to Earth paper bag is provided to line the kitchen container.  You can use newspaper as a more economical option to line the container or wrap your scraps.
    • Including paper products along with your food scraps provides a good carbon source and is beneficial to the composting process.
    • NO plastic bags or plastic style compostable or biodegradable bags are accepted. Paper kraft bags (e.g. Bag to Earth) bags are accepted.
    • How to Line Your Kitchen Catcher with Newsprint (using your community newspaper)

    To ensure success of the program, only put food waste loose, wrapped in newspaper, or in kraft paper bags in the main collection cart.



    The City must comply with the requirements of our processor.


    For more information or to set up food scraps collection in your building, please call Engineering Operations at 604-526-4691 or email .


  • Engineering Operations
    T 604-526-4691