The Emergency Management Office (EMO) monitors weather conditions and activates extreme heat protocols if temperatures are expected to reach at least 33°C during the day and 17°C at night for two consecutive days.
The EMO is currently focused on planning and outreach to our vulnerable populations, residents, property management companies, non-profits and faith-based organizations. Vulnerable individuals are encouraged to create a social communication network. This ensures that in the event of an emergency, they have friends, family and neighbours who can provide support. Through planning and preparation, we can be more resilient as these events continue to occur.
Several City of New Westminster facilities have air conditioning and welcome you to visit if you need a place to cool down. These locations include:
Century House - 620 Eighth Street | 604-519-1066
Extended hours Monday, Aug. 14 to Thursday, Aug. 17: 9:00 am to 7:30 pm
Queensborough Community Centre - 920 Ewen Avenue | 604-525-7388
New Westminster Public Library - 716 Sixth Avenue | 604-527-4660
Anvil Centre - 777 Columbia Street | 604-515-3830
No pets allowed at this location.
You can also stay cool by visiting a spray park, outdoor pool, or attend a drop-in activity. Visit newwestcity.ca/staycool for ideas.
City of New Westminster Information & Resources for Extreme Heat
- What to do in Extreme Heat
- Prepared BC - Extreme Heat Preparedness Guide
- Preparing Together for Extreme Heat
Health - Heat Related Information & Resources
- Fraser Health Extreme Heat - Recognizing the Signs Poster
- Fraser Health Sun & Heat Safety
- Health Canada - Staying Healthy in the Heat Fact Sheets
- Vancouver Coastal Health - Childcare Facilities and Heat
- Health Canada- Keep Children Cool! Protect your child from Extreme Heat
- Fraser Health - How to be a Heat-Healthy Business Leader
- Fraser Health - Summer Heat and Health: Recommended Actions for Owners and Managers or Rental and / or Strat Housing
- Fraser Health - Summer Heat Safety for Seniors and People with Medical Conditions
Air Conditioner Programs
Other Heat Related Information