New Westminster's Riverfront Vision
Over the last 20 years, New Westminster has made exceptional progress re-redefining the riverfront as a valuable asset. The City has started reconnecting residents, visitors and businesses with the two rivers that define our community - a transformation that’s being realized through the implementation of neighbourhood plans and policies plus public and private investments that bring new opportunities to the waterfront. In 2016, Council endorsed (in principle) the concept of an expanded Riverfront Vision that incorporates the full riverfront throughout the City. This vision is supported by three goals:
- Continuity. Creating a continuous network of attractive Greenways and parks.
- Connectivity. Providing connections from all neighbourhoods to the river.
- Activity. Programing and animating the riverfront with an active, engaging and dynamic series of experiences compatible with existing industrial uses that entice visitors to explore its many destinations and adjacent amenities.
The riverfront is the City’s most significant cultural and economic asset. Home to vibrant public spaces, quality recreation and progressive business and housing, it’s an integral component of the local economy. A living link to the City’s past, the Waterfront provides New Westminster with employment, services and tourism opportunities.
What’s our Riverfront Vision? To seamlessly connect our riverfront through a system of parks and greenways running the length of the city and to provide improved connections from neighbourhoods to the river. Along with enhanced access and facilities, the riverfront’s recreation and tourism potential will be bolstered by public spaces and activities that generate interest for all demographics, all year long.
- Waterfront Vision (February 29, 2016 Council Report)
- Downtown Waterfront Vision (Sept 19, 2011 Council Report, July 6, 2015 Council Report)
Existing and proposed projects that support the proposed waterfront vision are outlined in the map below. To see the map's legend, click the expander button in the top left corner of the map.