Voter Information


The City of New Westminster uses the Provincial Voter's list from Elections BC.

If you didn't register with Elections BC, you can register in person on any advance voting date or General Voting day.

To register to vote when you visit a voting locations you need to bring two pieces of identification that show who you are and where you live. One of these documents must include your signature. See below for examples of accepted ID.

BC CareCard* Property tax notice
BC Driver's Licence* Statutory declaration/sworn affidavit
BC Identification Card (BCID) Student card
BC Services Card Utility bill (electricity, natural gas, water, telephone or cable services)
Birth certificate New Westminster Public Library card
Canadian passport Citizenship card
Certificate of Indian Status ICBC owner's certificate of insurance/vehicle license
Credit/debit card Income tax assessment
Monthly report form (HR0081) from the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction NEXUS card

*The combined BC Driver's Licence and CareCard is considered one piece of ID.


If you own property in New Westminster or are the registered owner of a property by September 14, 2022, you may be eligible to vote. 

To qualify as a Non-Resident Property Elector (NRPE), you must be:

  • 18 years of age older on general voting day for the election; and
  • a Canadian citizen; and
  • a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration; and
  • NOT a resident of New Westminster;
  • a registered owner of real property in New Westminster for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration; and
  • registered owners of the property, either as joint tenants or tenants in common, and individuals who are not holding the property in trust for a corporation or another trust; and
  • not entitled to register as a resident elector; and
  • not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in an election or assent voting and not otherwise disqualified by law; and
  • if there is more than one registered owner of the property, only one of those individuals may, with the written consent of the majority of the owners, register as a non-resident property elector.

To register as an NRPE, please read and fill out the forms in the package linked below:

Remember to include proof that you own the property, such as a copy of a land title certificate, or property tax or assessment notice.