Business Licences and Permits

Business Licensing promotes safe and legitimate business premises and operations within New Westminster. Its primary functions are to provide initial advice for new businesses, to process business licence applications within the context of New Westminster’s regulatory requirements, and to maintain an up-to-date database on existing businesses in the city.

Every business in New Westminster is required to have a valid business licence before beginning operation. This includes home-based businesses, commercial and industrial operations, and owners of apartment rental properties. Business licences are also required for companies that are not located in the city, but do work within New Westminster (e.g., contractors).

Business Licensing renews approximately 4,000 business licences each year and also issues licences for liquor establishments.

If you need to renew your business licence, you can do so online. Please contact Business Licensing at  or 604-527-4565 for more information or check out the website for instructions on how to sign up for MyCity. 

For questions, please call 604-527-4565 or email

  • Business License Office
    T 604-527-4565