How to Apply For a City Committee

**Recruitment is Now Closed** We do, however, welcome applications all year round for vacancies on the City's Advisory Committees.

For information about the Community Advisory Assembly, please visit Community Advisory Assembly page.

Appointed applicants may only sit on one Committee, Commission, or Board at a time (including the Community Advisory Assembly) unless by special waiver from the Mayor.

Please see below for more information on vacancies, information sessions, and how to apply.

Please select the Apply now! button below for the application form. If you wish to apply using a smart phone or tablet, please download the Better Impact App from the app store.

Please review thE volunteer committee vacancies prior to applying.

Apply now!

How to Apply for a City of New Westminster Committee, commission, OR BOARD

Eligibility and Requirements

Application Criteria

  • Applicants must not be employees of the City of New Westminster.
  • Applicants must live in the City of New Westminster, except by special waiver from the Mayor.
  • Applicants should be able to serve for the full term of the appointment.

Time Commitment

Time requirements vary among the Committees, however, most meet every other month in the day or evening for two hours. Some Committees may meet more or less frequently. In general, Committees do not meet in July, August or December. View the 2022/2023 Meeting Schedule

Committee Members cannot simultaneously serve on more than one committee, except by special waiver from the Mayor.

Committee Members can serve a maximum of two consecutive two-year terms on any one committee, except by special waiver from the Mayor.


As these are volunteer positions, successful candidates serve without remuneration.


  1. Carefully review the description and mandate of all the Commissions, Committees and Boards, and identify which ones interest you. Review the Committee Vacancies List.
  2. Complete the application form online or download the Community Member Application Form. Please be as concise as possible when filling out your application.
  3. Indicate up to three committees you would like to apply for, in order of preference.
  4. Attach a resume.
  5. Submit your application.

Representing an Organization? 
There is a separate form if you wish to represent an organization. The organization nomination form can be completed online or downloaded.

Applications can be submitted via any of the following methods:


Community Member - Fill out the online application

Organization Nominee - Fill out the online application


Fax 604-527-4594
Mail or hand deliver to:

Committee Clerk
Legislative Services (2nd Floor)
511 Royal Avenue
New Westminster, BC V3L 1H9

*Note: Copies of all applications will be made available to New Westminster City Council, City staff and New Westminster Public Library, if applicable, for the sole purpose of making appointments to Commissions, Committees, and Boards, and for contacting successful volunteers regarding meetings and other relevant information. Your information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for this purpose and for contacting appointed persons with information regarding meetings.


All applications are reviewed by Staff and appointments are made by City Council in January. Appointments are for two year terms, except where otherwise indicated. Terms are generally from February 1st of one year to January 31st of the next year.

All applicants will receive a letter from Legislative Services once the appointments have been made. View the list of all committee appointments.

Committee Member appointments will endeavour to reflect the diversity of the community and include representation by under-heard voices and equity-seeking communities.

The City will collect data to measure and evaluate its progress on equity, diversity and inclusion, and will provide appropriate supports to reduce barriers for equity-seeking communities.

QUESTIONS? Contact us

For more information please contact the Legislative Services department at: or 604-527-4523.