Be alert! If you are a driver, expect school zones to be busy and allow more time to travel through them. Watch for less safety-conscious drivers around schools!
Parents, consider alternatives to driving your kids to school:
- Walk or Bike
- Carpool or walkpool with friends or neighbours
- Drop-off further from school
- Have your older children use transit
- Get involved
General driving tips:
- Don’t turn around in a driveway – it is dangerous for pedestrians and other vehicles.
- Do not park or stop in disabled parking spaces.
- Obey posted speed limits (school zone speed limit is 30km/hr).
- Park thoughtfully, in legal designated spots and fully pulled up to the curb.
- Make even one less car trip to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.