Stage 1 of the Water Shortage Response Plan, regardless of weather conditions, applies from May 1 to October 15.
The intent is for watering to take place in the early morning hours, when demand is low and evaporation is minimal. The policy affects both residential and non-residential areas, and the permitted watering hours are summarized below:
- Even-numbered addresses: Wednesday and Saturday, 4 a.m. - 9 a.m. only
- Odd-numbered addresses: Thursday and Sunday, 4 a.m. - 9 a.m. only
- Even-numbered addresses: Monday mornings, 1 a.m. - 6 a.m. and Friday mornings, 4 a.m. - 9 a.m. only
- Odd-numbered addresses: Tuesday mornings, 1 a.m. - 6 a.m. and Friday mornings, 4 a.m. to 9 am. only
- Both Even and Odd addresses: Friday mornings, 4 a.m. to 9 a.m.
1. Water Exemption Permits: Between May 1st and Oct 15th, newly turfed or seeded lawns and those being treated with Nematodes may be irrigated more frequently, provided a Lawn Watering Permit is obtained. Permits can be obtained through Engineering Services at City Hall, Queensborough Community Centre or by applying online. Proof of purchase may be required to obtain a permit. Remember that, while exemption permits allow for additional watering days, watering is still restricted to 4 a.m. – 9 a.m. No new permits are issued for watering newly turfed or seeded lawns in Stage 3 & Stage 4. Apply Online
2. Hand-watering of flowers, shrubs and vegetable gardens is not affected by the regulations at this stage.
3. Car washing using a hose equipped with a spring loaded shut-off device is permitted.
4. Residents may water their lawn with water from rain barrels outside of permitted watering hours.
Your cooperation will help save water and reduce the risk of more severe restrictions. Remember, your lawn only needs about 1-inch of water (about 1 hour of watering) per week to stay healthy.
Fines and Reporting Violations
Sprinkling outside of the allowed days and times is subject to a fine based on the current stage of the Water Shortage Response Plan.
- Stage 1 $100
- Stage 2 $200
- Stage 3 $500
- Stage 4 $1,000
To report lawn watering violations, please contact Parking at 604-519-2010 or . When reporting, please provide the following information:
- Date(s) and time(s) of the observed violation
- Location of watering (e.g. front lawn)
If you require more information, please contact Engineering Operations at 604-526-4691. Thank you for your cooperation.
Lawn Watering FAQs
Metro Vancouver Lawn Watering Regulations
Metro Vancouver Drinking Water Conservation Plan
Metro Vancouver Drinking Water Conservation Plan FAQ's