Integrated Stormwater Management Plan
What is an ISMP?
The Citywide Integrated Stormwater Management Plan (ISMP) was presented to City Council at the May 29, 2017 meeting. The ISMP provides a long-term Green Infrastructure Strategy to protect and improve water quality in the waterbodies surrounding New Westminster.
Council supported the adoption of the New Westminster ISMP plan including Green Infrastructure tools and design guidelines for implementation on public and private property throughout the City. Implementing Green Infrastructure will improve water quality to protect the environment, support recreational water use, and meet current and emerging regulatory requirements.
An Integrated Stormwater Management Plan (ISMP) is a document to guide the planning of stormwater management initiatives for the City.
Elements of an ISMP include:
- A strong vision with supporting principles and goals
- Best management practices to manage the quantity and quality of stormwater
- Policies and programs to manage stormwater
- Approaches to implementation, monitoring, and measuring success
Why are we developing an ISMP?
The Metro Vancouver Integrated Liquid Waste Resource Management Plan requests that Integrated Stormwater Management Plans (ISMP) be completed for each watershed within Metro Vancouver.
An ISMP is also important to the City to:
- Reduce the volume of water in our sewers to reduce combined sewer overflows and flooding;
- Strive for high-quality water to protect our receiving waters;
- Return rainwater where possible to natural watershed pathways using best management practices such as rain gardens, absorbent soils, and landscapes;
- Raise awareness of the importance of stormwater management in New Westminster including innovative tools to help our city become a resilient community in the face of climate change
What’s the process?
The process involves a series of steps:
- What do we want? The Vision
- What do we have? Windows of Opportunity
- How do we get there? Draft Action Plan
- How do we stay on track? Monitoring and Indicators Framework
- Final Report
Throughout this process, the City sought input from key city representatives, technical stakeholders, representatives of senior government and institutions, and public stakeholders to understand the values and current issues within the community about stormwater management to develop a path forward.
Provide your input on the ISMP
Thank you to everyone who joined us at our public discussion on the Draft Action Plan at Century House on November 16th. We enjoyed talking to you and hearing your thoughts regarding stormwater management in New Westminster.
Questions about the ISMP?