Bylaw Adjudication

  • The adjudication system allows the City to manage bylaw disputes locally rather than through the provincial court system. Violation notices can be disputed out of court with a private adjudicator appointed by the Provincial Attorney General Office.
    • simplifies dispute process
    • removes minor bylaw violations from the provincial court system
    • reduces ticket dispute time
    • reduces need to employ lawyers or enforcement officers to take a case to court
    • more convenient since attendance at an adjudication hearing is not mandatory
    • more cost effective and efficient system
    • helps ensure bylaw compliance
  • Option 1: Pay Violation Notice

    • reduced penalty within 14 calendar days
    • full penalty payment after 14 calendar days

    Option 2: Dispute Violation Notice

    1. Complete and submit the online Bylaw Adjudication Request Form.

    Disputes must be received within 14 days upon receipt of the Bylaw Notice; after 14 days, you will not be able to dispute the notice. Post marks are not accepted as date of payment or dispute.

    Hard copies of the form can be mailed or faxed to:

    City of New Westminster Bylaw Services
    PO Box 42553
    130-1005 Columbia St.
    New Westminster, B.C.
    V3M 6L7
    Fax: 604-519-2022

    2. A Screening Officer will review the adjudication request and  will do one of the following:

    • cancel the violation notice
    • enter into a compliance agreement and reduce the penalty upon completion
    • uphold violation notice

    3. If the Screening Officer upholds the violation notice:

    • a date and time for the adjudication hearing is provided and scheduled to occur at City Hall
    • at the adjudication hearing, evidence is presented and the adjudicator decides if an offence did or did not occur
    • if an offense did occur, the violation notice must be paid in full, plus an additional $25 administrative fee
    • if an offense did not occur, the violation notice is cancelled and no penalties are assessed
  • Pay Online

    Pay in Person

    City Hall
    511 Royal Avenue
    Monday, 8:00 am – 7:00 pm
    Tuesday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

    Animal Shelter
    231 Ewen Avenue
    7 days/week, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

    Queensborough Community Centre 
    Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 9:30 pm
    Saturday, 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
    Sunday, 8:30 am - 8:30 pm

    Centennial Community Centre
    Monday - Thursday, 9:00 am - 8:30 pm
    Friday, 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
    Saturday, 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
    Sunday, 8:30 am - 12:00 pm

    Century House
    Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
    Saturday, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
    Sunday, 12:00 - 4:00 pm

    Pay by Mail

    City Hall
    511 Royal Avenue
    New Westminster, BC  V3L 1H9


  • What happens if a Violation Notice is ignored?

    If a penalty is unpaid after 34 days, tickets are forwarded to a collection agency to recover the penalty and an additional late payment fee is applied.

    When will my dispute be heard?

    A Screening Officer will contact you by phone regarding your dispute.

    Can I pay the penalty before the hearing date if I change my mind?

    Yes, however, payments received after 14 days from when the violation notice was issued must be paid in full.

    Can the adjudicator consider my financial position if found guilty?

    No, the adjudicator will only determine if the offence occurred. The adjudicator has no authority to raise or lower the penalty amount.

    Do I need to appear in person for the hearing?

    No, you may send a written submission or arrange for a conference call.

    Can I appeal the adjudicator's decision to a higher authority?

    No, an adjudicator's decision is final.

    Can I pay the reduced penalty within 14 days and still proceed to adjudication?

    No, once a penalty is paid the violation is closed.

  • General Inquiries
    Phone: 604-527-4657