Response and Reopening Plan
New Westminster City Council has approved the implementation of the City’s recovery plan, which will guide the gradual reopening of civic facilities and the restoration of programs and services that were closed or suspended as a result the COVID-19 pandemic.
The reopening of facilities and the restoration of services will be done gradually in alignment with Public Health Orders and in accordance with BC’s Restart Plan, WorkSafeBC, and industry-specific guidelines. The restoration of services will also be dependent on the City’s ability to ensure all appropriate safety protocols are maintained, projected cash flow models, coordination with neighbouring municipalities, and alignment with the principles and values established by New Westminster City Council.
The recovery plan outlines the facilities and programs that will begin to be restored starting now and in the summer quarter (July – September 2020). Highlights include:
- Opening of the Moody Park Outdoor Pool, starting mid-July, in a modified capacity;
- Launch of outdoor programs and services which include summer day camps, creative art programs, and self-guided activity options this summer;
- Gradual reopening of spray parks in early July with limited hours and monitored access;
- Limited access to computer stations, children’s book room and study carrels on an appointment basis at the Uptown branch of the New Westminster Public Library, starting in August;
- Private bookings at Anvil Centre (less than 50 people) for virtual meetings and events;
- Partial opening of Century House as a cooling centre during extreme heat events.
The reopening of additional facilities for in-person services, including community centres, City Hall, public library branches for general access, New Media Gallery, and cultural facilities is anticipated for fall 2020. While physical access may be limited at City facilities, various virtual programming and access is already available with more programs and services to come. Community members are encouraged to check facility websites for more information and updates.