City of New Westminster seeks input from community to “Pier into the Future”
New Westminster, BC - New Westminster residents, businesses, community groups and organizations are invited to join the conversation about the interim development of the Timber Wharf section (“east end” asphalt area) of the newly opened Westminster Pier Park. The goal is to enhance the attractiveness of the overall park and identify potential activities and features which will make this section of the park inviting and fun. The focus is on the short term and the improvements are intended to remain in place until Phase Two of the full park master plan can be constructed.
The western portion of the park officially opened this past June and has received overwhelmingly positive comments from residents and visitors alike. Existing features include a waterfront boardwalk, festival lawn, food services, elevated viewpoints, gardens, benches, accessible picnic tables, a sport court, public art and two playgrounds.
There are three ways for the community to get in on the conversation:
Online survey: A link to the online survey can be found on the City’s webpage, Facebook and Twitter. It will be available until October 13, 2012.
- Paper surveys: Available at
- City recreation facilities,
- Kiosk in Westminster Pier Park,
- Business Improvement Association Office,
- Tourism New Westminster,
- River Market,
- Fraser River Discovery Centre,
- Parks, Culture and Recreation’s table at RiverFest event (September 29)
Survey participants will be entered into a draw for chance to win a “Picnic in the Park” for 12 catered by River Market restaurants.
- Community Meetings: A meeting will held Thursday October 11th (with a follow-up meeting on Tuesday October 16th) to discuss the survey results and identify priority opportunities that best meet the needs of the community as a whole. To help with the planning please pre-register by calling 604-527-4567.
The community’s preferred options will be presented to City Council in November and will inform how the City moves forward to provide a place that benefits local residents and the community as a whole.