The Parks and Recreation department completed the installation of new fitness equipment in Moody Park, May 4, 2021.
The new fitness area provides an outdoor location to work out while enjoying fresh air and sunshine in Moody Park! The new equipment intends to help with strength, cardio, flexibility, and balance.
The fitness equipment includes the following pieces of fitness equipment:
- Stationary hand bike (accessible)
- Monkey bars
- Calisthenics structure:
- incline bench
- parallel bars
- push up bar
- decline press
- Swedish ladder
- human flagpole
- pull up station
Outdoor fitness is an accessible and affordable way for people to engage in physical activity, promoting a healthier lifestyle and a sense of community. We encourage everyone to check out other outdoor fitness opportunities around the city including locations at Queens Park, and Old Schoolhouse Park.
Please see below for a list of additional physical and social benefits to including outdoor fitness equipment in parks:
- Increased physical activity: Outdoor fitness equipment in parks provides an opportunity for people to engage in physical activity and exercise, which is essential for maintaining good health. By having access to outdoor fitness equipment in parks, people are more likely to engage in physical activity, leading to a healthier lifestyle.
- Cost-effective: Outdoor fitness equipment in parks is a cost-effective way of promoting physical activity compared to traditional gym memberships or purchasing personal exercise equipment. Access to free fitness equipment can help reduce the financial barriers that some people face in accessing exercise equipment.
- Social benefits: Outdoor fitness equipment in parks can promote social interaction and community building. People of all ages and abilities can come together and exercise, creating a sense of community and support.
- Exposure to nature: Outdoor fitness equipment in parks allows people to exercise while being exposed to nature, which has been shown to have mental health benefits such as reduced stress and improved mood.
- Accessibility: Outdoor fitness equipment in parks is generally accessible to people of all abilities, including those with mobility challenges. The equipment is often designed to accommodate people with disabilities, making it possible for everyone to enjoy the benefits of physical activity.
- Encourages families to exercise together: Outdoor fitness equipment in parks can encourage families to exercise together, promoting healthy habits and strengthening family bonds.