New Westminster – Effective Tuesday, March 17, 2020, the City of New Westminster is closing community and recreational facilities to the public until further notice to help reduce the risk of transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19) in our community.
- Canada Games Pool
- Centennial Community Centre
- Century House (modified food services will continue to be offered with further details to follow)
- Moody Park Arena
- Queen’s Park Arena
- Queensborough Community Centre
- Youth Centre
- New Westminster Public Library (Uptown and Queensborough branches)
- Anvil Centre, including the New Media Gallery and New Westminster Museum and Archives
- Irving House
- Animal Shelter
- New Westminster Police Department front counter
FACILITIES THAT WILL REMAIN OPERATIONAL
- All fire halls
- Police Department
- City Hall with staff and visitors screened prior to entering
- Tow Yard with visitors screened prior to entering
The City’s registered spring break camps, including Jr. Royale, Sr. Royale, Extreme Challenge, and full-day art camps at Anvil Centre will proceed. All licensed childcare programs will continue to operate. We will continue to monitor the situation and make any changes recommended by the health authorities.
Refunds will be provided to anyone who has registered for activities affected by the closure and library due dates will be suspended until the end of April.
City staff have connected with non-profit organizations and other local stakeholders and are developing actions to address issues and impacts resulting from COVID-19. This includes establishing three working groups: one that will deal with issues relating to at-risk and vulnerable populations, one that will deal with issues and impacts relating to frail and isolated seniors, and one that will deal with issues and impacts on local businesses and the economy.
For more details and up-to-date information on the City’s response to the COVID-19 virus, please visit www.newwestcity.ca/covid-19 and follow the City’s social media channels.
Blair Fryer, Communications Manager