Learning to swim through progressive skill development in a positive and supportive learning environment.
About the Curriculum
Breaking Waves has been developed and used by New Westminster staff for over 45 years!
Step-by-step progressions focus on teaching:
- strong rotational skills and breathing position
- finding balance in the water
- creation of strong muscle memory through perfect practice
Please be aware of the following guidelines:
- Swim lesson participants can only register for one lesson set at a time to ensure customers meet all level prerequisites, and have the best possible experience.
- Not sure what level to register into next? Check your online account by going to My Profile > My Info > Activity Outcomes. This determines what level is next. Outcomes are viewable at 8:30 am on the last day of your lesson set. You can register for the next lesson set when your outcomes are posted.
- Late registrations: Participants must be registered by the third class.
Find your swim level
Swimming Lesson evaluations are offered during drop-in lane or drop-in leisure swim times. Register for a $2.00 reserved drop-in and a lifeguard will be happy to do an assessment which takes approximately 5 minutes. Please ask for an assessment at reception. Upon completion of the assessment you will receive a piece of paper with the assessed level which you must bring to the front desk to register.
Moving from preschool age to school age? Aged based lessons transfer chart (PDF).
Transferring to or from Red Cross lessons at another municipality? Red Cross Lessons Transfer Chart (PDF)
One-one-one lessons may be available for students to get extra assistance on a specific skill. Call to register.