Lawn Watering Regulations
Stage 1 of the Water Shortage Response Plan, regardless of weather conditions, applies from May 1 to October 15.
The intent is for watering to take place in the early morning hours, when demand is low and evaporation is minimal. The policy affects both residential and non-residential areas, and the permitted watering hours are summarized below:
- Even-numbered addresses: Wednesday and Saturday, 4 a.m. - 9 a.m. only
- Odd-numbered addresses: Thursday and Sunday, 4 a.m. - 9 a.m. only
- Even-numbered addresses: Monday mornings, 1 a.m. - 6 a.m. and Friday mornings, 4 a.m. - 9 a.m. only
- Odd-numbered addresses: Tuesday mornings, 1 a.m. - 6 a.m. and Friday mornings, 4 a.m. to 9 am. only
- Both Even and Odd addresses: Friday mornings, 4 a.m. to 9 a.m.
1. Newly turfed or seeded lawns, and those being treated with Nematodes may be irrigated more frequently, provided a permit stipulating conditions are first obtained from the Engineering Department at City Hall, or Queensborough Community Centre. Proof of purchase is required to obtain a permit. Remember that, while exemption permits allow for additional watering days, watering is still restricted to 4 a.m. – 9 a.m.
No new permits are issued for watering newly turfed or seeded lawns in Stage 3 and Stage 4.
2. Hand-watering of flowers, shrubs and vegetable gardens is not affected by the regulations at this stage.
3. Car washing using a hose equipped with a spring loaded shut-off device is permitted.
4. Residents may water their lawn with water from rain barrels outside of permitted watering hours.
Your cooperation will help save water and reduce the risk of more severe restrictions. Remember, your lawn only needs about 1-inch of water (about 1 hour of watering) per week to stay healthy.
Fines and Reporting Violations
Sprinkling outside of the allowed days and times is subject to a fine based on the current stage of the Water Shortage Response Plan.
- Stage 1 $100
- Stage 2 $200
- Stage 3 $500
- Stage 4 $1,000
- Date(s) and time(s) of the observed violation
- Location of watering (e.g. front lawn)
If you require more information, please contact Engineering Operations at 604-526-4691. Thank you for your cooperation.