The City of New Westminster has received an application from Quadreal Property Group to rezone the property at 97 Braid Street. This application proposes a complete, mixed-use, sustainable and transit-oriented master-planned community. This community is being referred to as "Sapperton Green"
The site is 38.35 acres and located at the southeastern gateway to the City at the corner of Braid Street and Brunette Avenue. The Brunette Avenue / Highway #1 interchange is directly adjacent to the site and the Braid Street Skytrain Station is also located on the site. The site is adjacent to Hume Park and is also located at the intersection of the Central Valley Greenway and the Brunette Fraser Greenway.
This is a unique site in the region due to its size and proximity to a variety of transportation infrastructure. It is also near to natural, ecological and recreation amenities, including Hume Park, regional greenways, and the Brunette River.
The proposed master-planned community would include:
- 3.4 million square feet of residential floor space and a projected 3,700 residential units;
- 750,000 (minimum) to 1.5 million (maximum) square feet of office commercial floor space;
- approximately 150,000 square feet of retail commercial floor space;
- 35,000 square foot community centre and child care space;
- 7.9 acres (3.2 hectares) of publically accessible open space including:
- 1.8 acres central park;
- 3.5 acres of riparian area adjacent to Brunette River;
- 0.75 acre transit plaza; and
- Pedestrian corridors, greenways, pocket parks and accesses to Hume Park and Brunette River;
Reports to Council:
- July 10, 2017 - Staff report to Council – Sapperton Green (97 Braid Street) Master Plan Update
- July 10, 2017 – Applicant Presentation to Council – Sapperton Green Master Plan Update
- October 5, 2015 - Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaw First and Second Reading Report
- July 13, 2015 - Proposed Official Community Plan Designation for Sapperton Green
- July 13, 2015 - Formal Section 879 and 881 Consultation for Sapperton Green
- June 23, 2014 - Draft Sapperton Green Neighbourhood Plan
- November 4, 2013 - Official Community Plan Amendment Application Received
- March 14, 2011 - Initiation of Master Plan Process
Sapperton Green Website
The Sapperton Green Website provides information on the consultation that has been undertaken to date. This site is run by the applicant's planning consultants, Brook Pooni.
Revised: September 27, 2018