How does adjudication work?

Option 1: Pay Violation Notice

  • reduced penalty within 14 calendar days
  • full penalty payment after 14 calendar days

Option 2: Dispute Violation Notice

1. Complete and submit the online Bylaw Adjudication Request Form.

Disputes must be received within 14 days upon receipt of the Bylaw Notice; after 14 days, you will not be able to dispute the notice. Post marks are not accepted as date of payment or dispute.

Hard copies of the form can be mailed or faxed to:

City of New Westminster Bylaw Services
PO Box 42553
130-1005 Columbia St.
New Westminster, B.C.
V3M 6L7
Fax: 604-519-2022

2. A Screening Officer will review the adjudication request and  will do one of the following:

  • cancel the violation notice
  • enter into a compliance agreement and reduce the penalty upon completion
  • uphold violation notice

3. If the Screening Officer upholds the violation notice:

  • a date and time for the adjudication hearing is provided and scheduled to occur at City Hall
  • at the adjudication hearing, evidence is presented and the adjudicator decides if an offence did or did not occur
  • if an offense did occur, the violation notice must be paid in full, plus an additional $25 administrative fee
  • if an offense did not occur, the violation notice is cancelled and no penalties are assessed
  • General Inquiries
    Phone: 604-527-4657