New Westminster – The City of New Westminster is providing fun and exciting opportunities to piece together a customized family adventure this Family Day weekend. This year’s Family Day activities have been designed to be safe and follow COVID-19 guidelines, including creative activity toolkits and virtual experiences. Activities can be enjoyed all Family Day weekend, February 13 – 15, and are free and inclusive for all ages and all families.
“Planning events and activities this year isn’t easy with COVID-19 restrictions, which is why our staff have planned a wide variety of safe tools, activities, and inspiration for everyone to enjoy,” said Mayor Jonathan X. Cote. “I encourage everyone to take advantage of our resources – create, discover, get active, and try something new while celebrating family.”
Activities include a virtual science show and virtual dance party to free activity kits and art workshops, along with the following unique programs:
- Virtual Quarantine Kitchen: Century House, in partnership with Save-On-Foods, presents a fun and inclusive Family Day edition of Quarantine Kitchen - cooking with Guy Bureau of Coming Home Cafe fame. Guy, with special guest Fadi Odeh from The Great Chocolate Showdown, will be presenting a fun, inclusive family baking experience. Register early to receive a free ingredient kit.
- Choose your own Adventure Scavenger Hunt: Youth Services holds the key to the city and it has gone missing! Register to receive a free detective kit that will be filled with all of the information you need to solve the case. The scavenger hunt takes you through the city for clues to help you find the key.
- Free Activity Kits: Register to receive a free Family Day Activity Kits geared towards family fun. Included are items from a variety of community organizations and city locations that will for sure bring some family fun – crafts, games, activity sheets and more! All you need at home is scissors, glue and coloring tools.
Registration is open! A full list of activities is available online at www.newwestcity.ca/familyday.
The City would like to thank our sponsors:
- Presenting Sponsors: The Province of British Columbia and The Record
- Community Sponsors: Arts Council of New Westminster, Fraser River Discovery Centre, New West Family Place, Save-On-Foods and Spirit of the Children